Date:      Mon, 25 Dec 1995 19:23:35 +0000 (GMT)
From:      James FitzGibbon <jfitz@io.org>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Executables now data in -current?

I've noticed something peculiar about building -current and using
utilities built under a prior kernel.

I did the build of -current using a 2.1R kernel, since I couldn't build
the new kernel without the new suplementary utilities and libraries.
After building and rebooting the new kernel, I notice that some ports
(specifically joe) and even some system programs (like fortune) now fail
with an "Exec format error. Wrong Architecture" error.

If I do a file on them, I get "/usr/games/fortune: data".

I've tried recompiling the apps under -current, but they still fail.

Is this related to the branching at 2.0.5, meaning that I built
2.2-current under a kernel from a branch that didn't directly precede it
?  Is there a solution that will let me run these applications? (fortune
I could care less about, joe... well let's just say that my new year's
resolution is not to use vi any more than necessary.)

j.

James FitzGibbon                                                jfitz@io.org

... Go ahead, jump.  100,000 lemmings can't be wrong.