Date:      Mon, 22 Jun 1998 16:21:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
To:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        kline@thought.org
Subject:   Need French, German string translation.

   People,

   In my first week or two of experimentings with localizing
   the standard utility set, I've gotten off to a good start.
   --But only in the simpler instances where words like "usage,"
   "file,", "directory", and so forth are in the message files
   that there are.

   In other cases where the utilities use warn[x]() or err[x](),
   or where there are individual errors sent to stderr, the task
   is more complicated.

   Could people from France and Germany translate the following
   strings for me?

   "%s: directory causes a cycle"
   "%s/%s: name too long (not copied)",
   "%s and %s are identical (not copied).",
   "cannot overwrite directory %s with non-directory %s",
   "%s is a directory (not copied).",

   I'm beginning with standard US English plus French and German.
   Adding other languages will require modifying the makefile and
   adding a *.msg file in the utility's nls directory.

   thanks much,

   gary