Date:      Mon, 04 Oct 1999 11:08:34 -0600
From:      Chris Fedde <cfedde@sendmail.com>
To:        J McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: saving space on laptop HD...

J McKitrick writes:
 +---------------
 | I was just checking my free disk space, and i see that my /usr slice is
 | 49% full.  And i don't really ave that much software installed.  I have a
 | 2 gig partition and used the standard setup for mount points.  That means
 | that out of 1.87 gig, i only have about half left.  Now maybe i have all i
 | need, but i may need to install star office or something else large like
 | that.  Is there a way t whittle some usage away in this directory?  The
 | only think i was thinking was deleteing unwated ports, but i don't want to
 | do something i cannot reverse later.  Is there a better way?
 |
 | -jm
 +---------------

You can drop the work subdirectories in /usr/ports. they are not
used after the make install succeeds.  And they will be re-build
if something need them.   On my box /usr/ports and /usr/src are
symlinks to amd mounted NFS volumes on my desk top.  When I'm on
the road these are unavailable but that is not usually a problem.

My next step is to figure out how to do this all with CODA.

chris
__
Chris Fedde	  <cfedde@sendmail.com>
303 773 9134