Date:      Wed, 30 Apr 1997 15:37:44 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NEC SCSI CD-ROM question

> System configuration:
>     Pentium Pro 200MHz
>     Adaptec 2940 UW controller
>     2G drive, FreeBSD 2.2.1 on a 1G partition
>     NEC CDR-1910 8x SCSI CD-ROM
>
> The system doesn't recognize the CD-ROM at boot and hangs for a few
> minutes while trying to probe the drive.  The message that finally
> comes up is something like "ugly hard reset".
>
> Does FreeBSD recognize NECs?  They're not explicitly listed in the set
> of supported devices at www.freebsd.org.  Would it help to reorder the
> SCSI numbering of my existing devices?  The controller has two internal
> buses:  a 50-pin that the CD-ROM is on and a 68-pin that the disk is
> on.  Should I get some sort of internal converter to move the CD-ROM to
> the 68-pin?

There are some bugs in the FreeBSD-2.2.1 release of the aic7xxx driver.
They have, for the most part, been fixed in the -stable branch.  But
I don't think these bugs should prevent your from installing and then
rebuilding -stable from source.

Check cabling and termination.  Boot with verbose (at the boot prompt
enter -v) and see what options the driver uses for termination.  Are
you using auto-termination in SCSI Select Utilities?  Try setting
low off and high on (I think that's right for your configuration).
You also cannot use external devices in that configuration - you're
not using any, right?

Make sure you have the last device on each SCSI cable properly
terminated, too.

Dan Eischen
deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org