Date:      Wed, 19 Mar 1997 05:48:30 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        dlowe@sirius.com (David Lowe)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: diskless operation / netbooting prob

> Hey people -
>
> I am testing out the possibility of netbooting our FreeBSD machines.  We
> have a lot of FreeBSD machines with almost no local data being stored on
> them.  We are already doing 90% of the work over NFS - it makes sense to
> take them one further step, to the netbooting phase.
>
> I've read over Jerry Kendall's howto, and the Handbook entry on the
> subject, and am still having a problem; it doesn't work :(
>
> Both the boot server and the diskless client are Pentium 133 machines,
> with 64MB RAM, and SMC EtherPower 10/100 PCI cards on a 10 megabit
> network.  The server is running 2.2-RELEASE, the client is running
> 2.2-BETA.
>
> After building the nb8390.com loader, putting it on a DOS bootable floppy,

no wonder it does not work, nb8390 only supports wd8xxx/ne2000 type of
boards and your SMC 10/100 is surely not one of these. The thing which
comes closer to netboot is to build a boot floppy with a kernel (and a
loader, you have the choice between the FreeBSD loader and fbsdboot)
and use the kernel bootp stuff by Tor Egge (I have a copy, I also
posted it some time ago). It works fine here, although booting from a
floppy is ssssslllllooooowwwww .... this can be overcome if you happen
to have a HD and can load the kernel (and just that) from the HD.

	Luigi