Date:      Tue, 27 Nov 2012 18:46:52 +0200
From:      Alexander Motin <mav@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Joel Dahl <joel@vnode.se>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org, vermaden <vermaden@interia.pl>
Subject:   Re: kern/148741: [sound] Headphones are deaf (do not work) on Lenovo ThinkPad X300

On 27.11.2012 09:37, Joel Dahl wrote:

>>> Closing this PR is OK under one of these conditions:
>>>
>>>    - LINK to that X300 specifical configuration/hack PR should be within FreeBSD Handbook.
>>>    - Information for X300 specific configuration should be directly in the FreeBSD Handbook.
>>
>> Or there should be the quirks-like mechanism in hda driver incorporating
>> these hints on the device by device level.
>
> We had this in the hda driver before mav rewrote it. The rewrite was a
> definite improvement in most cases and it almost always works without user
> intervention now, but I still think we need some kind of quirks functionality.
> I don't buy the "hardware is obsolete in 6 months" argument. I have several
> 3+ years old laptops at home. All working great. Asking users to play around
> with device.hints just to get sound working (it's 2012 after all, not 1992...)
> isn't all that user-friendly. If someone manages to figure out the
> correct configuration for a specific laptop, we should make sure we pick it up
> and include it in the driver. This will save the next user with the same
> hardware at least a few gray hairs...

I haven't removed support for model-specific hacks, even moved them into
separate file to make easier to handle them. If there is so much
interest to this specific model, I don't mind to add it. But first we
have to clean up the problem. Provided hints look more like inconsistent
combination of hints from different systems. So at first we should find
out which of these lines are really useful and why. Vermaden, could you
do some binary search and upload somewhere verbose dmesg output for
better understanding of the situation.

--
Alexander Motin