Date:      Tue, 19 Nov 2002 14:09:30 +0100
From:      Marko Zec <zec@tel.fer.hr>
To:        Sergey Solyanik <solik@sumy.net>
Cc:        Dmitry Morozovsky <marck@rinet.ru>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DEVICE_POLLING and kern.hz

Sergey Solyanik wrote:

> Dmitry Morozovsky wrote:
> > we have FreeBSD router with 4 fxp's and moderately high traffic (up to 15 Mbps
> > at upstream port). There is about 2k5-3k5 interrupts per second, about 1k-1k5
> > of them are from fxp0.
> >
> > Would it be useful to turn on DEVICE_POLLING on this machine?
>
> Wouldn't be useful just to load microcode into fxpX ?
> Try ifconfig fxpX link0

The fxp microcode puts the card into the interrupt coalescing mode, which can be
useful for end nodes, but is definitely a BAD THING on routers. Contrary to
interrupt coalescing, which can introduce significant delays and thereby cause
unnecessary problems with TCP throughput, device polling approach seems to be much
better suited for packet forwarding applications, as it won't introduce any
additional delay under normal operating conditions.
Nevertheless, at traffic rates not regularly exceeding 10.000 packets per second,
which seems to be the case in your environment, I don't see any need for employing
either interrupt coalescing or device polling at all.

Best regards,

Marko