Date:      Tue, 06 May 1997 17:23:32 -0600
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
To:        Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
Cc:        Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@FreeBSD.ORG>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: One last call for a show of hands on the ALPHA port...

>	(2) change your "SMP" model... the current FreeBSD SMP code
>	    seems to be the wrong approach to me.  It feels like there
>	    is a bunch of "this is a PC operating system" assumptions
>	    in code that's in sys/kern (i.e. init_smp.c).  Also,
>	    the kernel isn't multi-threaded... I think you've done
>	    this backwards, because the current model will mean more
>	    work to multithread your kernel later.

How can you completely test changes to make your kernel multi-threaded if
you don't have support to start multiple processors?  I would think any
attempt to completely rewrite the kernel to be (theoretically)
multi-threaded, running on multiple CPUs, without some way to test these
changes incrementally is doomed to fail due to architectural oversights and
the frustration of having everything break once you turn on the other
processors.  Although the current SMP code to bring up multiple processors
may not be properly "modularized" so that architecture specific code is in
an architecture specific file, this doesn't have anything to do with our
"SMP model" since it hasn't been designed yet.  I guess you could call "The
GIANT lock" our "SMP model", but that is a stop gap allowing the
bootstrapping code to be verified as well as experimentation with differnt
synchronization techniques.  Steve and others are now starting to look at
designing the synchronization facilities that will allow us to become
multi-threaded.  So, once we have a real "SMP model", feel free to
criticize us then. 8-)

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations