Date:      Mon, 20 Sep 1999 11:54:44 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jim King <jim@cgi.sstar.com>
To:        wwoods@cybcon.com, freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: True Parity memory

At 09:04 AM 9/20/1999 -0700, wwoods@cybcon.com wrote:
>I have a DEC 200 4/233 and I understand it will only use "True Parity"
>memory, is this the case? If so, where is a good place to order this
>from as none of the local computer stores carries it (hell some don't
>even know what it is)....
>
>Also, what size does it take, like a 72pinn simm?

72 pin, fast page mode (FPM), parity, and they have to be installed in
matched pairs.  "True parity" means it really has the extra memory
chip to store the parity; some SIMMs use "logic parity", which just
calculates a parity bit when the memory is read.

Crucial (aka Micron) has this stuff; http://www.crucial.com.  Their
prices are somewhat high.

Somebody on the list a while back reported that Mcglen is a good place
to get parity memory; http://www.mcglen.com.  Their prices sound a lot
better than Crucial.

And of course there's always eBay, Onsale, etc.  The four 16 MB SIMMs
in my AS200 4/233 came from Onsale.

Jim