Date:      Fri, 10 Feb 2012 11:01:06 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Valeri Galtsev" <galtsev@kicp.uchicago.edu>
To:        freebsd-jail@freebsd.org
Cc:        Roger Marquis <marquis@roble.com>
Subject:   Re: File system issue [was Re: jails]

Wow, this did impress me (backwards ;-) !

server with single partition / (plus swap partition) !

It was - I forgot how long ago - when I start feeling myself as admin
building more robust systems when I started meticulously creating
different partitions for all things that shouldn't affect each other. And
still I will keep doing that because of following.

Do you want some unprivileged user's script writing into /tmp to fill up
(or run filesystem out of file handlers) / partition holding other things
like mail spool, or database storage?

BTW: on mail servers where my users can log in I always mount their home
directories, and spool with "noexec, nosuid, nodev" options (the same goes
about /tmp, and wherever web server stores uploaded stuff...).

I do have a feeling that the trend is opposite the one you mentioned:
people are switching not to linux, but away from it. As linux lately (say,
last 3 years or so) became more like windows: once every 45 days on
average: kernel update ==> reboot. I remember way back (2.4 kernels) we
had a bunch of linux machines with uptime 2 - 3 years... Not any more.

Sorry, I just couldn't hold myself ;-(

Valeri