Date:      Tue, 23 Aug 2016 14:36:17 -0400
From:      Anthony Jenkins <Scoobi_doo@yahoo.com>
To:        Thomas Hellstrom <thellstrom@vmware.com>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Auto-detecting vmmouse

On 08/23/2016 04:43 AM, Thomas Hellstrom wrote:
> Hi!
>
> With the advent of the devd-managed Xorg device auto-detection, the
> automatic ability of loading the "vmmouse" driver instead of the "mouse=
"
> driver isn't there anymore.
>
> Previously, with the hal-driven detection, a utility called
> "vmmouse_detect" was run and the HAL suggested xorg driver was set
> accordingly depending on the result of "vmmouse_detect".
>
> So I was planning to restore this functionality somehow and when it's
> working kindly ask whoever is responsible to automatically install
> xf86-video-vmware and xf86-input-vmmouse whenever xorg is installed.
>
> Unfortunately I have trouble finding documentation that describes how t=
> set the xorg input driver name for a mouse device detected by devd. The=

> input driver name needs to be set based on the return code of the
> "vmmouse_detect" utility.
>
> Any help pointing me to a preferred way of doing this would be greatly
> appreciated.
Basically you will have to modify device_added(const char *line) in
config/devd.c to create a new InputOption "object" and set the "driver"
option to "vmmouse" (assuming that's the driver name) using
input_option_new().

I did my own implementation of config/devd.c (I think others have also,
but I think they're all basically similar) different from the one
currently in x11-servers/xorg-server/, it uses a function table to call
a function for a given const char *line passed to device_added() to make
a decision about what driver to attach.

https://github.com/ScoobiFreeBSD/freebsd-ports/blob/xorg-synaptics/x11-se=
rvers/xorg-server/files/patch-config_devd.c

You'd add an entry to hw_types[] for the device node created by devd(8),
adding a new function to fill in the InputOption object depending on
information from the system.

Anthony