Date:      Tue, 27 Apr 1999 21:56:17 +0200
From:      Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Cc:        "Wayne, Ken" <WAYNEK@SCHNEIDER.COM>
Subject:   Re: Replacing Exchange Server

According to Wayne, Ken:
> It would appear that SendMail could do what I want, but is this the best mail
> service (ease of use, support, features, etc...), does it support ETRN, and
> can I use Outlook to read my mail?

I'm somewhat biaised towards Postfix, having been an alpha tester for months
and running it on every machine I can lay my hands on :-)

FreeBSD.org's experience with it in place of sendmail is pretty good, Postfix
is way faster and more secure than sendmail. You'll need an IMAP/POP server;
Cyrus (see ports/mail/cyrus) works well with Postfix).

It is very easy to setup and has probably more features that you need :-)
(virtual domains, very efficient antispam features, regex support, and much
more). Support is handled, like many other Open Source products, through a
mailing-list, postfix-users (mailto:Majordomo@postfix.org).

You can use an LDAP server for aliases, virtual domains and such.

See <http://www.postfix.org/>; for details.

BTW Outlook is not really a good Windows mail reader. Better use something
like Pegasus, Agent or Eurora.
--
Ollivier ROBERT -=- FreeBSD: The Power to Serve! -=- roberto@keltia.freenix.fr
FreeBSD keltia.freenix.fr 4.0-CURRENT #2: Fri Apr 16 22:37:03 CEST 1999