Date:      Thu, 2 May 2002 12:19:35 +0100 (BST)
From:      Mark Valentine <mark@thuvia.demon.co.uk>
To:        imp@village.org ("M. Warner Losh"), freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Save a few hunderd kilobytes or a few hundred perl users?

> From: imp@village.org ("M. Warner Losh")
> Date: Thu 2 May, 2002
> Subject: Re: Save a few hunderd kilobytes or a few hundred perl users?

> My take on this.  We should remove perl from the base, and
> automatically install the port for most users in sysinstall, just like
> we do with XFree86.

XFree86 doesn't stomp on /usr/local (nor does the other port semi-
automatically installed via sysinstall, linux_base).

As part of the process of packaging the base system, I support the
idea of a new type of more tightly integrated package, installed in
/usr (for the core packages) or /usr/{opt,pkg,contrib}.  "ports"
would remain as they are, though (seems too late to reclaim
/usr/local if you ever want to use those...).

		Cheers,

		Mark (sole member of the Reclaim /usr/local Campaign).

--
Mark Valentine, Thuvia Labs <mark@thuvia.co.uk>       <http://www.thuvia.co.uk>;
"Tigers will do ANYTHING for a tuna fish sandwich."       Mark Valentine uses