Date:      Sat, 10 May 2014 15:30:00 GMT
From:      "Mr. Clif" <test@eugeneweb.com>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/188897: [dc] dc ethernet driver seems to prevent the detection of other NIC chipsets

The following reply was made to PR kern/188897; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Mr. Clif" <test@eugeneweb.com>
To: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org, clif@eugeneweb.com
Subject: Re: kern/188897: [dc] dc ethernet driver seems to prevent the detection
 of other NIC chipsets
Date: Sat, 10 May 2014 08:29:03 -0700

 --------------030302030805050404010504

 On 05/10/2014 08:18 AM, Mr. Clif wrote:
 > Opps I almost didn't see this email, too much spam I guess :-(
 >
 > Sounds like you want me to get the latest from the FreeBSD repo. Could
 > you please give me the URL and commands for that so I don't get the
 > wrong code?
 >
 > By last issue do you mean PR 179033?
 > <http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=179033>; Since that one was
 > closed I opened 188897 but they are both basically the same.
 > I'm not sure what symtoms the ISA decoding bits cause, to me it's just
 > that some of the NICs are unusable, but sure I can run those commands,
 > If you give me the git commands to get the correct code. I'll get the
 > non-working kernel now too.
 >
 >     Clif

 --------------030302030805050404010504

   <head>

   </head>
       wrote:<br>
       type="cite">
       <pre wrap="">On Tuesday, April 29, 2014 7:42:29 pm Mr. Clif wrote:
 </pre>
         <pre wrap="">Hi Guys,

 I've been playing with the new patch, and found a few problems that I
 posted in PR 188897:

 <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=188897">http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=188897</a>;

 and this one is about another quad port card in the same Atom MoBo:

 <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=188899">http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=188899</a>;

 I would be happy to test any new fixes you want me to try.
 </pre>
       <pre wrap="">Can you disable agp and see if that fixes things?  (hint.agp.0.disabled=1 at
 the loader prompt)

 </pre>

       sorry about the delay, now that I'm set up again the turnaround
       time should be a lot faster. <br>
       At the loader prompt I typed: <br>
       set hint.agp.0.disabled=1 <br>
       boot <br>
       After a lot of testing, the only possible difference I can see is
       that the re0 interface is always? there when the agp is disabled
       and not always there by default. By the way, this board doesn't
       have an AGP port. Oh and I only checked the dc board, since it
       didn't work I didn't go on to the sun board. :-) <br>
       &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Clif <br>
       wrote:<br>
       type="cite">
         <pre wrap="">Ok sorry I didn't get anywhere with the AGP experiment. I guess I'll put
 the machine away until you have other things for me to try.
 </pre>
       <pre wrap="">Sorry, I have been focusing on another PCI bug people were running into that
 was fixed earlier this week.  However, that one involved resources failing to
 allocate at all, so I'm not sure it is related to your case.  Hmm, I see your
 last issue was related to the special ISA decoding bits.  Can you pick one
 of the cases to focus on for now and capture a verbose dmesg from a HEAD
 kernel?  'devinfo -r' and 'devinfo -u' output from the non-working kernel
 would also be good.

 </pre>
       Opps I almost didn't see this email, too much spam I guess :-(<br>
       Sounds like you want me to get the latest from the FreeBSD repo.
       Could you please give me the URL and commands for that so I don't
       get the wrong code?<br>
       By last issue do you mean PR <a moz-do-not-send="true"
         href="http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=179033">179033?</a>;
       Since that one was closed I opened 188897 but they are both
       basically the same.<br>
       I'm not sure what symtoms the ISA decoding bits cause, to me it's
       just that some of the NICs are unusable, but sure I can run those
       commands, If you give me the git commands to get the correct code.
       I'll get the non-working kernel now too.<br>
       &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Clif<br>

 --------------030302030805050404010504--