Date:      Mon, 25 Feb 2002 17:41:08 -0800
From:      Kirk McKusick <mckusick@mckusick.com>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at>, fs@FreeBSD.ORG, fanf@chiark.greenend.org.uk
Subject:   Re: UFS panic on -stable

The fact that this is happening on mfs which (presumably) is
running async and without soft updates plus the fact that it
is not doing any disk I/O should be a big help in tracking down
this bug. It does point a big finger at the buffer cache code
since that would be about the only place that data corruption
could be happening here. Perhaps we can find a reliable way
to generate a crash. Maybe a series of mknod/rm commands. If
we can find a way to reliably get this panic, finding the bug
should be possible. And if this is the elusive bitmap corruption
panic we have been hunting for the last two years, that would
really make my day!

Kris, can you send the result of a `mount -v' command on your
system so we can confirm that the mfs filesystems are running
async without soft updates.

	Kirk McKusick