Date:      Fri, 16 Feb 2001 23:22:17 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>, Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Summary of List of things to move from main tree to ports

    Ok, here's my summary.  Yah yah, I inject my own opinions.  Too bad.
    This will be my last posting on the topic.

Least Controversial:

    games

	There does not seem to be much resistance to the idea of moving
	most /usr/src/games out of the main source tree and into ports.
	People seem to content to argue about other things.

	My opinion is that while the base games are still fun to play,
	there are so many games in ports that are as interesting or more
	interesting that the usefullness of having the original set in
	the base tree is marginal at best, even if you play 'hack' all
	the time.  My only exception is 'fortune', which many third party
	apps (like xscreensaver) just assume exists on the system.

    rdist (apparently already removed from current)

Medium Controversial:

    UUCP (uucp, uucpd)

	Robert Watson suggests, and others agree that
	the best way to handle UUCP is to change the NO_UUCP make.conf
	option into a BUILD_UUCP make.conf option.  I would interject that,
	in addition to that, we should not create the uucp directory hierarchy
	unless uucp is selected in make.conf (i.e. not create
	/var/spool/uucppublic, a directory which defaults to modes 777, by
	default).  Robert Watson also makes the point about the suid/sgid
	nature of many uucp binaries, and I and others will attest to the
	fact that UUCP is simply not maintained anymore.  That is a
	dangerous combination to have installed in the system by default.

	There are fewer people screaming for UUCP to stay in the base tree
	then, say, people screaming for rlogind to stay in the base tree.
	Despite Terry's waxing poetic about UUCP's dialup capabilities,
	every soul I know (except maybe Terry) who has ever used UUCP in the
	past no longer does (and I should know:  I wrote AmigaUUCP!).
	However, if those people are going to make a big deal about it,
	I suppose we can take the intermediate step of having a BUILD_UUCP
	make.conf (opt-in) option for the next few years.

    Kerberos IV

	Robert Watson argues (several times) about the complexity of
	integrating certain packages, namely KRB4, into the system.
	A counter argument is made that such integration is not necessarily
	a good thing.  I would interject that KRB4 is so undesireably
	complex that integration is pretty much the only way you can
	support it, which is why we should throw it out and push KRB5
	the last few yards it needs to be pushed to get it in as well
	as KRB4.  KRB4 is a nightmare, integrated or not.

	Lyndon Nerenberg provides an example - his shop - which relies
	on the massive integration provided in our KRB4 implementation.
	He makes a reasoned argument for GSSAPI.  But it can also be
	argued fairly easily that GSSAPI is actually preventing us from
	moving forward with its extremely limited scope.  It may not
	be a good idea to force oneself to stay in the past because the
	future doesn't support your favorite API.

	Terry brings up a good point in regards to PAM.  I feel that PAM
	is the most likely future, but it can't be use to justify moving
	'older' pieces off the system until the newer pieces actually use
	it in the proper way.  That is, at the moment GSSAPI is more
	proven then PAM, but PAM has the momentum and will likely be able
	to take over completely sometime in the next few years.  When
	that occurs, anyone still using KRB4 is going to be faced with a
	very tough decision.

	So as far as KRB4 goes, I think we are going to have to keep it
	around until PAM catches up and KRB5 reaches the same level
	of integration.  I am personally amazed at KRB4's staying power,
	but the writing is on the wall.

Highly Controversial:

    telnetd, rshd, rlogind, rexecd
    rmt, rcp, rlogin, rsh

	A number of people favor removing the server side utils.   Virtually
	nobody favors removing the client side utils.  Terry argues that
	he still uses the daemons (not a very good argument in my opinion),
	others argue that the daemons are useful within firewalled networks
	(also a terrible argument in my opinion).  There was a reasonable
	argument by Nate in regards to mixed windows <-> UNIX networks where
	the windows boxes used the above standard utilities to access the
	UNIX boxes.  While I will point out that it is relatively easy to
	use ssh on a windows box, it is still no where near as easy as it is
	to use ssh on a UNIX box.

	David O'Brien probably made the best argument, if you remove the
	all-caps phrases from his posting.  The daemons are turned off by
	default, keeping the binaries around does not present a serious
	burden on the system.  Yes, it could be argued that this slows the
	adoption of protocols like ssh, but the daemons are still used
	enough that we cannot justify removing them from the system.  And,
	despite being old, the daemons do support kerberos connections
	as an option (though I will add:  Not very well.  There are terrible
	bugs with regards to streaming and EOF handling with the kerberized
	telnet, for example.  It's good enough for terminal sessions but
	I don't trust them for anything else).

    ftp, ftpd

	Mostly specious arguments.  There are obvious uses for ftp and even
	ftpd in regards to anonymous downloading.  Since ftpd is most often
	used for anonymous operations on publically available files, there
	is no real argument for removing it even though some idiots will
	probably use it with sensitive materials.

	Nobody seriously argued for the removal of ftp, but that didn't
	stop others from freaking out and screaming loudly that it should
	stay in the system.

    sendmail
    bind

	I think only Cy Schubert is the only one in favor of moving
	sendmail and bind to ports.  Most everyone else is very loud
	in wanting to keep it.  However, even Cy is partial to using
	make.conf options to select what to build and/or install and
	others tend to agree that that is a reasonable approach.

	Chris brings up a very good point about certain major packages
	(e.g. sendmail) being actively maintained by committers whereas
	other packages do not have the same level of commitment.

	My opinion is that, like bind, sendmail is a core piece of the
	system.  If we were to provide alternatives, they would also have
	to be brought into the main tree (e.g. on a vendor branch) and
	maintained as such.  Then you could choose via rc.conf and you
	could disable elements with make.conf (unlike UUCP, which should
	be opt-in, if we are given sendmail & bind equivalents to choose
	from in the base system they should probably be opt-out in regards
	to (not) compiling them, then selected with rc.conf).

	I can see postfix being brought into the vendor branch and being
	maintained as the same level that sendmail is maintained. I don't
	really see qmail being maintainable at the same level that postfix
	is maintainable, and three MTAs in the base tree is probably too
	many.  As Chris says, someone needs to be willing to seriously
	maintain it.

	Someone brought djbdns up.  Security alone is not a good enough
	reason to try to bring something into the base tree.  To be in the
	base tree the program must be supported and I don't know a single
	person willing to maintain (long term) the unreadable, uncommented
	djbdns code.  I feel that the most likely course of action
	is that bind8 will eventually become bind9.  While Paul does not
	produce the most secure code in the world, he's a lot easier to
	work with and he acknowledges that bind8 has reached the end of
	its usefullness.

						-Matt