Date:      Sun, 07 Nov 1999 03:53:50 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Borja Marcos <borjam@we.lc.ehu.es>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: exec() security enhancement

Borja Marcos wrote:

>         Hello,
>
>         Many security exploits create files in the /tmp directory
> and execute them. I think it would be a good idea to add logging
> to the to exec_check_permissions() in kern.exec.c so that attempts
> to run files from a filesystem mounted as "noexec" can be detected.
>
>         With this measeure, and mounting /tmp as "noexec" some
> generic hostile acts (wow, how does it sound! :-) ) could be
> detected.

[and, as you said, the same goes for nosuid -- and for nodev too]

This doesn't enhance security. It enhances auditability. I like
this. Add a syslog, and a sysctl to turn it on or off. It seems
straight-forward and light-weight. Send the patches. :-)

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	What y'all wanna do?
	Wanna be hackers? Code crackers? Slackers
	Wastin' time with all the chatroom yakkers?