Date:      Thu, 14 Mar 1996 01:02:05 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au (Darren Reed)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DDS DAT Drive and 2.1.0-R ?

Darren Reed stands accused of saying:

> Please, no comments about use better hardware, unless there is no other
> way....

Well, I wouldn't be putting the hardware the 'nca' driver talks to at
the top of my shopping list...

> Does anyone have the blocking/density and size parameters for dump(1)
> for use with DDS DAT drives ?

Your settings are fine.  You're looking at either a driver bug/shortcoming
or hardware limitation.

> Mar 14 00:38:56 freebsd /kernel.scsi: data length underflow
> Mar 14 00:38:56 freebsd /kernel.scsi: nca0/4/0 data length underflow
> Mar 14 00:38:56 freebsd last message repeated 130 times
> Mar 14 00:40:42 freebsd /kernel.scsi: nca0/4/0 (st0) timed out

What does the driver mean? Have you looked at the source?

> # mt -f /dev/nrst0 status
> Present Mode:   Density = X3B5/88-185A Blocksize variable

This is fine, AFAIK.  The DAT at work says the same thing, FWIW, and it
works fine.

> Also, when I tried a kernel config with the following, st0 didn't work:
>
> controller scbus0 at nca0
> disk sd? at scbus? target ?
> disk sd? at scbus? target ?
> tape st? at scbus? target ?
> device cd? at scbus? target ?

That's because the systax is all wrong?  Whay makes you think that's the
way to do it?  Look at GENERIC :

controller scbus0
device sd0
device od0
device st0
device cd0

This supports any number of SCSI busses, and any number of any of
the devices...

> Also, on the wish list, what about lsdev returning irq's, etc ?

'lsdev -c'