Date:      Mon, 12 Jul 1999 15:15:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        "Mark Holloway" <mholloway@flashmail.com>
Cc:        <alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Alpha FreeBSD 3.2

Mark Holloway writes:

  > Does anyone know if installing FreeBSD Alpha will get Xfree86 up and
  > running with an Elsa GLoria Synergy card?  It uses the Permedia 2 chip
  > which is supported by Xfree86 3.3.3.  The card itself was designed by
  > Elsa to work on Intel and DEC Alpha.  According to the commercial X
  > servers like Metro-X and Accelerated-X they support this card on Alpha
  > running Linux.  Xfree86 project has a driver for it, but I'm lost in
  > knowing if it has been ported to Alpha FreeBSD.
  >

  > Regards,
  > Mark

<Apologies for reformatting your message, but it was almost totally
unreadable..>

You'll need to build Xfree86 from ports, after after applying Doug's
patch for FreeBSD/alpha support
(http://www.freebsd.org/~dfr/XFree86.diff ).

I believe that it should work for your card.  I'm running X on a few
alphas (personal workstations, xp1000s) running -current (but -stable
should work too ) using Dec PowerStorm 4d10 cards, which I think use
the same chipset:

XFree86 Version 3.3.3.1 / X Window System
Release Date: January 4 1999
        If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your card is newer
        than the above date, look for a newer version before reporting
        problems.  (see http://www.XFree86.Org/FAQ)
Operating System: FreeBSD 4.0-CURRENT alpha [ELF]
Configured drivers:
  GLINT: accelerated server for 3DLabs GLINT graphics adapters
(Patchlevel 0)
Using syscons driver with X support (version 2.0)
(using VT number 4)
<...>
(--) GLINT: found TI chip GLINT Permedia 2 at card #10 func #0 with base 0x81000000
(--) GLINT: Framebuffer address at 0x80000000
(--) GLINT: videoram : 8192k
(--) GLINT: Using builtin RAMDAC of Permedia 2 chip
<..>

Cheers,

Drew