Date:      Fri, 24 Feb 2012 10:18:05 -0800
From:      Douglas Thrift <douglaswth@gmail.com>
To:        Michael Scheidell <scheidell@freebsd.org>
Cc:        nivit@freebsd.org, bug-followup@freebsd.org, vivanov@ivanov-nest.com, python@freebsd.org, lars.eggert@nokia.com, sunpoet@freebsd.org, lwhsu@freebsd.org, gabor@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports/118301: [patch] devel/py-setuptools easy-install.pth contents lost on upgrade clobbering ports using it

On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 8:43 AM, Michael Scheidell
<scheidell@freebsd.org> wrote:
> As promissed, attached is a patch to back out portrevision 3, or, most sp=
ecifically, leave it as an option knob, default
> off.
>
> It packages just fine, with and without:
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~scheidell/py27-setuptools-0.6c11_4.WITHOUT.log=
 =C2=A0(the default, just like it did before
> portrevision 3)
>
> and, with: (with option knob set)
>
> by looking at Makefile, and pkg-plist changes, I think I correctly wrappe=
d !defines() around all the changed things.

> (note: this sat for 3 years. =C2=A0python@ got 'open pr' emails, once a w=
eek, so, speak up now, or forever hold your peace. or
> nra members, your piece)
>
> I can tell you this packages, both ways, leaves no left overs, but I can'=
t tell you if it solves the original problem with
> the knob, or the problem created with revision 3. =C2=A0But I can tell yo=
u, it looks like this attached patch reverses revision
> 3.
>
> Please, if you have any stake in this, test it, or, in when this gets com=
mitted, don't complain.
> --
> Michael Scheidell, CTO
> SECNAP Network Security Corporation
> http://people.freebsd.org/~scheidell

Hello,

What was the issue with portrevision 3? Also the name and description
of the new knob do not make sense. What the knob enables is preserving
the contents of the easy-install.pth file which specifies what
packages are installed; easy-install itself is core functionality of
setuptools that is not affected by the knob.

It really seems unacceptable that upgrading setuptools pretty much
clobbers dependent ports. When other things like libraries are
upgraded in this fashion there is usually a notice in UPDATING or the
portrevision of dependent ports is bumped.  I don't think having a
knob makes any sense. Either fix whatever problem there is with what
the preservation patch did or back it out and make sure whoever
upgrades setuptools puts notices in UPDATING or bumps portrevisions.

Thanks!
--=20
Douglas William Thrift
<douglaswth@gmail.com>