Date:      Mon, 19 Oct 1998 08:35:30 +0100
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Jim Shankland <jas@flyingfox.com>
Cc:        clash@tasam.com, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATX boards and restart after power failure

Jim Shankland wrote:

> Finally, it is possible to design a simple circuit that
> simulates pushing the soft-power-on button for half a second or so
> when power is applied.  We haven't attempted this.  (I suppose there's
> a market for a solenoid gadget that you velcro to the front of your
> computer, and that presses the "on" button briefly when the machine
> is powered up.)

Hmmm... It wouldn't be quite that bad - If I get time at lunch (I'm at work
now) - I'll dig out a few bits and try to set one up on my machine... (You
only need 2 or 3 components! - look 'mom - no solenoid's! <G>)

> It's alleged that none of this is a problem on Pentium II boards.

I've see Pentium-Pro boards with options for these, just not many...

> The other conclusion I've reluctantly reached is that people
> who design motherboards for a living seem to be muttonheads.

Sometimes, but I guess everything can easily be designed badly... (if you get
what I mean ;-)

ps.

If you don't hear from me in say 6 hours, you know what's happened (look for
the mushroom cloud ;-)

Karl