Date:      Wed, 23 Oct 1996 18:45:25 +0900 (JST)
From:      Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD hackers <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: read only root: (was Re: comments on this change please.)

[fixed subject, I haven't slept enough recently]

On Wed, 23 Oct 1996, J Wunsch wrote:

> As Michael Hancock wrote:
>
> > This isnt related to dev, but please move /etc/namedb back to /var/named.
>
> Hmpf.  Nope.  There's no universal ``right directory'' for this.  If
> your machine is a primary server, you want it in /etc, since it's a
> configuration file.  (/var is usually not included in dump cycles, but
> you sure _want_ the original tables to be dumped.)  If your machine is
> a secondary server, you want it in /var.

I think the named config files are variable enough to go into /var and too
variable if you want a read-only root.

You can come up with other ways to backup important config files sitting
in /var, such as mirroring to frequently dumped partitions or ssh'ing the
files to a backup server, etc.

Regards,

Mike Hancock