Date:      Mon, 14 Sep 1998 16:34:55 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Malartre <malartre@aei.ca>
Cc:        Jim Holthaus <jim@holthaus.com>, Slyce <slyce@onramp.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: WHY? WAS:Clear screen before login...

In the last episode (Sep 14), Malartre said:
> Dan Nelson wrote:
> > >
> > > Sure.  Edit your default entry in /etc/gettytab.  Here is what mine looks like:
> > >
> > > :im=\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n
> > > \r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\nFreeBSD (%h) (%t)\r\n\r\n:sp#1200:
> >
> > How about :im=\f\r\nFreeBSD (%h) (%t)\r\n\r\n:  instead?  Syscons
> > clears the screen when it sees a formfeed.
>
> Why does it's not in the basic instalation of freebsd? I dont see why
> I should be able to read what people writed on the screen after they
> login off. Why is there the "choice" to be, well, "unsecure"?

Well, clearing the screen means nothing on serial lines (what people
originally logged in on) or network logins.  If a user doesn't want
their last screenfull of info visible when they logout, they can clear
the screen by putting a "clear" comment on their ~/.logout script.

I took advantage of this non-clearing feature when I was in college to
put a nice ascii-art picture on the terminal for the next person to see
when they logged in (used the graphics chars of the Zenith-19 terminals
to get 80x50 resolution :)  My favorite was a digitized eye the size of
the screen.  I'd log into two adjecent terminals, then log out, so you
could see a face staring at you from across the room..

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com