Date:      Mon, 22 Aug 2016 23:41:12 -0400
From:      Eric McCorkle <eric@metricspace.net>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Info about suspend-to-disk

--WIhUp11GE7eGqpSRaa8dscf9px0CNsdFl
From: Eric McCorkle <eric@metricspace.net>
To: hackers@freebsd.org

--OxICMEckHJX6esEqEfqiOVXgRnBSVgAbK

Hi everyone,

I'm gathering information in preparation for possibly working on
suspend-to-disk functionality.  I have a fairly good idea of what it
would take and one way to attack it.  The overall plan would look
something like this:

* Use dump functionality to write an entire OS image out to disk.  As
this is a voluntary dump, it should be possible to go through the FS
interface to produce a regular file.

* Modify boot1 to check for saved images.  Load and resume if one exists.=

* Presumably there would need to be some new device methods added to do
saving/reinitialization of devices.

The major open questions for me are the following:

* Is there/has there been significant work in this direction?

* Is there perhaps a better strategy?

* Do the codepaths currently exist to allow dump functionality to write
to a regular file in the case of a voluntary dump, or would this need to
be added?

* What would be the most sensible default behavior for device
hibernate/unhibernate methods?

* Any other significant issues