Date:      Sun, 18 Jun 2006 19:59:49 +0300
From:      "Konstantin Dimitrov" <kosio.dimitrov@gmail.com>
To:        "Stefan Ehmann" <shoesoft@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org, Alexander@leidinger.net, dgerow@afflictions.org
Subject:   Re: Status of VIA Envy24 audio controller

i'm sure there are issues with the existing code, but at least for the
moment i am not enough familiar with 'newpcm', so help is needed and for the
moment i prefer to concentrate my work on adding support for more hardware
(more chips from Envy24 family and audio codecs).

as a result i have added support for "Terratec Aureon 7.1 Space", it is
Envy24HT-based (chip is marked ICE1724 or VT1724) card and uses WM8770 for
audio codec, so it is very different from the supported cards till now.

Envy24 and Envy24HT are not compatible - have different registers and
features, so the new code is incompatible with Envy24, it is also highly
experimental and messy (a lot of code from Envy24 driver is changed and a
lot of code is unfinished) and for the moment it works only with "Terratec
Aureon 7.1 Space" and it is intended to use only with that card.

the code is here: http://xkodi.svobodno.com/envy24ht in case someone has
"Terratec Aureon 7.1 Space" or want to hack the code to support another
card.

i also have important question, maybe Alexander will answer, because now we
have code for two different Envy24 chips (Envy24, Envy24HT) and for 3
different audio codecs (AK4524, AK4528, WM8770) and any combination between
them is possible - for example maybe there is Envy24HT-based card using
AK4528, which is the best way and how to support this, i can put everything
based on chip ID and PCI IDs into a single code, but i think it is bad idea,
because it will be huge code with a lot of branches and very hard to
maintain