Date:      Tue, 18 Apr 1995 06:23:25 +0300
From:      Heikki Suonsivu <hsu@cs.hut.fi>
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, gpalmer@freefall.cdrom.com, hsu@cs.hut.fi, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: mmap bugs gone yet?

Joe Greco writes:
 > > With the merged VM/buffer cache, i doubt it will buy too much to mmap
 > > the files at all.
 >
 > This was not true on my Sun 3/60.  I never investigated to find out why,
 > however.

It would seem to be writing the history file every 10 articles if you use
ACT_READ option.  I don't know if it writes all of it or just the modified
parts.  You can tune innd to write less often, but it doesn't seem to help
much.  We are in big trouble soon if the NNTP protocol isn't quickly
revised, and we probably need a fully rewritten news system in less than a
year...

--
Heikki Suonsivu, T{ysikuu 10 C 83/02210 Espoo/FINLAND,
hsu@cs.hut.fi  home +358-0-8031121 work -4513377 fax -4555276  riippu SN