Date:      Wed, 19 Apr 95 13:06:00 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        dufault@hda.com (Peter Dufault)
Cc:        hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: DEVFS ownership and permissions

> > > BTW: How the heck do permissions work?
> >
> > Ownership and permissions should be specified by the device itself as
> > part of the registration information.
>
> Bill has a raw disk partition he collects his image data on.  It is
> owned by bill and read write by Bill.  It is /dev/rsd1e.  Where is
> the persistence of the ownership and the permissions of this raw device
> which is owned by a regular user?  Is it stored on disk someplace and
> gets established as the system comes up?

Bill is not root.  Bill is not allowed to mount thinks, because we
are root, and we do not trust weasels named "Bill".  8-).

That out of the way, it's in inode 2 for the device, which is the inode
that covers the mount point.

Just like the current scheme.

If Bill gets to access the raw partition, then in the /etc/rc file we
give ownership to Bill, because he's not a weasel in this case, he's
a "power user".  8-).

[ ... consequences of device templating ... ]

> I don't understand what you are saying.

For multiple targets for a driver, you still don't have to have gobs
of memory lying around seperate from the driver itself to store device
names and permissions.  You can still do everything you need to do
through the top end of the driver interface instead.

So arguments that you have to have fake directories and crap are
without merit.  There is no need to duplicate the data if it's going
to be reset each time you reboot or each time you unload and then load
a loadable driver.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---