Date:      Wed, 7 Feb 2001 13:16:44 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dan Phoenix <dphoenix@bravenet.com>
To:        Andrew Reilly <areilly@bigpond.net.au>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, Andre Oppermann <oppermann@monzoon.net>, Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>, Rik van Riel <riel@conectiva.com.br>, Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, Charles Randall <crandall@matchlogic.com>, Jos Backus <josb@cncdsl.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   vinum and qmail (RE: qmail IO problems)

I went over to postfix to see if it did better.....in fact it did on
freebsd but still same problem with I/O. SOlution from talking to some
people late last night would be to add another harddrive and stripe it
with another drive using vinum. As you all know IDE does not do
multitasking unlike scsi. My question is this vinum product...i beleive
the superceder of ccd....taking another harddrive and striping it with the
root ide drive would in theory destroy all contents of first IDE?
Or can this volume manager take say a partition of first ide drive and
made to work with another ide drive? Trying to figure out at this point
whether concept is 2 other drives striped together say..using raid 0 or
I can get away with just one other one. Thx in advance.

ps. 600 megs of email was calculated in 1 day on this machine...today i
will be splitting up the load and looking into vinum.

Regards,

Dan