Date:      Sun, 24 Aug 1997 16:26:09 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        andreas@klemm.gtn.com (Andreas Klemm)
Cc:        roberto@keltia.freenix.fr, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: UUCP and lpr services don't work anymore

Andreas Klemm said:
> On Sun, Aug 24, 1997 at 07:03:36PM +0200, Ollivier Robert wrote:
> > According to Andreas Klemm:
> > > Outgoing mails are mailed via UUCP. The D files get spooled
> > > ok in the D. directory, but the control files in the C.
> > > subdir (UUCP spool dir), has the size of 0 bytes although
> > > the vfilesystem has pleanty of Mbytes free.
> >
> > I've not seen this yet on my home machine, still at July, 20th current (but
> > I'm worried, all my mail is through UUCP).
>
> If you are not using FreeBSD-SMP then everything should be ok.
> I can send mail now using the non-SMP kernel.
>
> So some of the changes in SMP code are causing this ...

The bug that I caused in the VFS code was kind-of non-deterministic (or
seemed so.)   The problems with file truncation were not the SMP code,
even though timing issues might make the problem worse.

We still have a problem with the VFS layer (I haven't manifested it yet.)  I
am doing a careful code review, and found some places in the filesystem code
where there are some dependencies on the v_usecount field of the vnode, and
I think the current problem that I caused is somewhere around there.

John