Date:      Mon, 29 Aug 2005 16:16:23 -0500
From:      Kevin Kinsey <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        James <james@idea-anvil.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvsup source with security fixes - which supfile?

James wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am using freebsd-update to make sure my systems are kept up to date, but I
>have one box (FreeBSD 4.11-RELEASE) that has a custom kernel and the kernel
>dosn't get updated, just the modules.
>
>I read the handbook on cvsuping the source and it wasn't quite clear to me
>which supfile I should use. I wan't to cvsup the source that would have the
>security fixes, their are 2 supfiles in /usr/share/examples/cvsup which one
>would I use (if either)?
>
>standard-supfile
>stable-supfile
>
>-james

I don't know that there's much difference.  A diff(1) on the
two files on my 5.4 system is just a few lines, mostly comments
and the ID tag.

What's important is which release tag you use.  A conservative
tag for your situation would be RELENG_4_11.  Only slightly less
conservative would be RELENG_4, and I'm not sure but what the
two are close to lockstepped as the developers are spending most
of their time on 6.X and 5.X.  Grab src-all and your handbook and
build world to your heart's content!

Kevin Kinsey