Date:      Fri, 28 Jul 2006 03:06:37 +0200
From:      Tijl Coosemans <tijl@ulyssis.org>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, Michael Nottebrock <lofi@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: WINE vs. FreeBSD

--nextPart3629864.ZBnRPTWIvW

On Thursday 27 July 2006 23:53, Julian Elischer wrote:
> Tijl Coosemans wrote:
> > On Thursday 27 July 2006 17:21, John Baldwin wrote:
> > > The kernel should preserve %fs across syscalls, traps, and faults.
> > > Can you point to a specific case where %fs is not preserved?  It
> > > sounds like %fs is never set to a value in Wine.
> >
> > Yes, it was a combination of compiler optimizations and an inline
> > assembly block missing __volatile__.
>
> does this mean that wine will work from now on?
> i.e. is the fix being fed back into wine sources?

Not yet. Windows9x mode should work again as well as threading and TLS,=20
but there are still some open issues, mainly with exception handling=20
and file access. Exception handling was completely broken and is now=20
mostly working, but sometimes gets stuck in a loop generating=20
exceptions and eventually overflowing the stack.

I'll submit patches once Wine passes the most important unit tests,=20
unless someone already wants to have a look at them of course...