Date:      Sat, 12 Mar 2005 18:48:04 +0900
From:      Hajimu UMEMOTO <ume@freebsd.org>
To:        Nick Sayer <nsayer@kfu.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 6to4, stf and shoebox NAT routers

Hi,

>>>>> On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 23:24:52 -0800
>>>>> Nick Sayer <nsayer@kfu.com> said:

nsayer> Well, I'm screwed.

nsayer> I set up the Linksys router so that the FreeBSD machine is the "DMZ"
nsayer> host on the inside. Sending 6to4 to the router's outside address
nsayer> results in tcpdump showing these on the inside:

nsayer> 22:09:36.138924 [linksys mac address] > ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff, ethertype
nsayer> ARP (0x0806), length 60: arp who-has [linksys outside ip] tell [linksys
nsayer> inside ip]

nsayer> Which, quite frankly, is laughable. If that weren't enough, the packets
nsayer> come out of the linksys router with the source IP address being from
nsayer> the inside (meaning, it didn't get NATted). Humph.

nsayer> So it appears that for now, I will have to keep a 2nd interface active
nsayer> on this box solely for the purpose of doing IPv6. What a nightmare.

It seems your Linksys box simply forward packets without translating
destination address to your 6to4 box.
I don't know actually what DMZ concept of Linksys is.  However, you
may need some additional setting into your Linksys box.  Or, when you
just set global addres of your Linksys box to your 6to4 box, you
may be able to use 6to4 without my patch.

Sincerely,

ume@mahoroba.org  ume@{,jp.}FreeBSD.org
http://www.imasy.org/~ume/