Date:      Thu, 5 Jul 2012 17:22:22 -0400
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky@c2i.net>
Subject:   Re: no keyboard after booting r235646 in laptop FS Amilo D 7830

On Thursday, July 05, 2012 4:25:21 pm Matthias Apitz wrote:
> El d=EDa Thursday, July 05, 2012 a las 07:39:18AM -0400, John Baldwin esc=
ribi=F3:
>=20
> > On Thursday, July 05, 2012 5:20:35 am Kaho Toshikazu wrote:
> > >   Hello,
> > >=20
> > >=20
> > >   I don't know exactly resource management, but ISA_PNP_PROBE()
> > > ignores device.hints if acpi unknown device takes resources.
> > > I think this problem is related to some acpi changes.
> >=20
> > The system in general in 9.0 and later is more strict about honoring wh=
at the=20
> > BIOS says in terms of allocating resources, so we have to be more corre=
ct in=20
> > probing devices.  The only wrinkles so far do in fact seem to stem from=
 the=20
> > keyboard controller.
> >=20
>=20
> Somehow the system should bring up at least console in- and output; if
> not you are completely locked out; in my case it was simple, because I
> was booting fron an USB key and could tailor the USB booted system to
> bring up interface+DHCP+SSH to login via SSH; but without this you are
> lost

So far I can't think of a non-hackish way to special case keyboard and
mouse controllers, though I'm close to doing so (i.e. just ignore any
device that tries to allocate resources in the "default" range for those
devices unless it is a "known" device ID).

The patch in this thread should be committed though.

=2D-=20
John Baldwin