Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 1995 08:49:26 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: gcc include files

As Chuck Robey wrote:

> > Is just the most annoying declaration in BSD4.4, the correct fix
> > is to use strerror. I never do over here, I just go thru the files
> > and delete any extern char *sys_errlist[];

> This "fix" to go to const breaks more stuff than you can shake a stick at.
> Is it really necessary?

No, from the sense of things, the stuff *is* already broken.  It
should never have declared sys_errlist[] itself (and instead use the
declaration from the header file).  This bug only got apparent by
4.4BSD correctly declaring the array to consist of constant strings.
(The improper duplicate declaration might have been lurking around for
years in those programs.  You'll only detect it when calling gcc with
-Wredundant-decls.)

For the question ``Is it really necessary?'':  this is probably a
matter of taste.  What do you like more?  A compiler warning/error
when trying to modify a constant object (due to an oversight of the
programmer), or the core dump at run time?
--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/