Date:      Sun, 16 Jul 2017 00:17:05 +0200
From:      Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@rocketmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Subject:   Re: Best printer makes (manufacturers) for FreeBSD

On Sat, 15 Jul 2017 21:23:21 +0200, Polytropon wrote:
>_before_ paying money

Last time I bought an external - IOW USB - audio device, the requirement
was to work with iOS as well as with Linux. I cared about compatibility
lists, but actually you can't trust such lists, as I experienced
already in the past, regarding audio devices as well as modems and all
kind of PCI to whatsoever bridges. I ensured that I could test the audio
device, this means to pay for it, but to get a money back guarantee.

Too funny, the first audio device I purchased worked with Linux, but
not with iOS, while it was listed to work with iOS as well. I still own
a professional audio device that should work with FreeBSD as well as
with Linux, but actually it only partial works with Linux, while it's
working without fault when using FreeBSD. That time I unfortunately
wasn't careful when testing the device, I rusted Linux recommendations.

However, the best bet is to buy a device with a money back guarantee
and to completely test everything that is needed, whatever operating
system you are using, what ever device you purchase, a printer, an
audio interface, a PCI to whatsoever bridge or whatever else. Sometimes
gear is available with 4 kinds of chip sets, 3 are known to work and
the fourth wasn't sold that much, so even the vendor didn't update the
compatibility list and/or most functions work with all operating
systems, but just the function nearly nobody does use (the function
you need it for) isn't working for one operating system etc. ...

It doesn't matter if you are using the most freakish operating system,
Plan 9 or even more strange or even something wide spread as iOS.
Checking lists "_before_ paying money" not always helps, it's better to
ask your dealer for a "money back guarantee" and to do
detailed nitpicking tests of everything that is needed.