Date:      Wed, 13 Nov 1996 15:06:55 -0800
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
To:        "=?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?=" (Andrey A. Chernov) <ache@nagual.ru>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org, scsi@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: SCB paging is ... (Interesting result)

>> Does it means that Tagged Queueing not work well with 2842?
>
>I just try turn Tagged Queueing OFF and SCB paging ON and it works
>even for writes!

You will only be using a maximum of 4 SCBs if you don't use tagged
queueing (assuming only 2 devices active) since you can only have
two SCBs active per non-tagged target.  In otherwords, you will
not be getting the heavy DMA load from moving SCBs in and out of
the card's hadware SCB ram in this scenario.

>Some test results:
>1) TAG=OFF SCB=OFF
>I can easily start up to 8 dds on each drive without any errors.
>2) TAG=OFF SCB=ON
>I can start up to 6 dds on each drive, more dds cause
>"timed out in message out phase" error

Hmm.  Does the patch I just posted have any effect on your timeouts?

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations