Date:      Wed, 14 Apr 2021 03:13:18 +0200
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
To:        Andre Albsmeier <Andre.Albsmeier@siemens.com>
Cc:        Stephen Montgomery-Smith <montgomerysmithstephen@gmail.com>, ctm-users@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: No more ports-cur?

Andre Albsmeier wrote:
> On Sat, 10-Apr-2021 at 14:41:47 -0500, Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Andre,
> > > Thanks, Stuff is missing, I'll see what I can fix & report back.
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> >
> > ports is no longer available via svn.  It has moved to git.  So until
> > someone switches CTM from svn to git, there probably won't be any more
> > updates.
>
> Oops, I see. Thanks for the information.

There were trees missing which I recreated (Maybe I deleted them by mistake),
since then, from script
http://www.berklix.com/~jhs/src/bsd/jhs/bin/local/ctms/ctms
	Dec 20 23:12 src-cur.14812.gz	Stopped
	Mar 31 16:36 ports-cur.13927.gz	Stopped
	src-12 to src-4 inclusive	Running
	svn-cur				Running

So until freebsd.org remove stable from SVN we should get all src stable.
I long ago added src-13 to mailman lists
& ctm.berklix.org server has empty:
	 /pub/FreeBSD/branches/13.0-stable/src
	 /pub/FreeBSD/development/CTM/src-13
It would be easy for me to clone & edit src-12 script for src-13
but I dont know the magic Stephen runs to initialise tres & those *Empty* etc.

> > I think now is a good time to switch from CTM to git.  git really has
> > many of the advantages that CTM has.  For example, you can download the
> > whole repository without actually updating your ports tree.  Then it is
> > present on your computer, so you can update the ports tree even when you
> > aren't connected to the internet.  In fact you can switch between
> > different commits, and different branches, very easily.
>
> This is probably all true but for the price of throwing around 100s of
> MB for features a typical CTM-user doesn't need :-). For people who just
> want to have up-to-date trees, this is all overkill.

Yes, git today took me 20 mins on line to update all my local trees,
If I'd been receiving CTM mail, it would have taken a minute,
then laptop would be free to disconnect & travel & apply whenever later.
+ sometimes I dont want latest, but an earlier CTM version.

PS I would later like to see a CTM feed of a GIT tree, as for svn-cur now,
so one could later do local off line git, as one can do off line svn export.

> A solution might be net/gitup which is quite lightweight but currently
> does not work via HTTP proxies (but people are working on it).

I've got standard git running here, but I'm not experienced with it,
& no time to convert server ctm scripts to use git instead of svn, Sorry,
Brexit has been a distracting time wasting hell:

  First Britain stole referendum voting rights from 3.7 million
  British citizens living abroad inc. 750 K in the EU. Currency
  speculators & tax evaders etc funded Brexit campaigns.  Cambridge
  Analytica targeted ads etc. the Brexit referendum passed by 1.27 M.

  British in Europe inc. me, lost life long "Member of an EU state"
  residents & work permits etc; lots of new support docs & test
  criteria in local languages to re-apply. eg Some driving licences
  in France cancelled, some Brits in Spain kicked out, Some rights
  to work in peril, etc. So not enough of my time on CTM, sorry.

Cheers,
--
Julian Stacey  http://berklix.com/jhs/  http://stolenvotes.uk
UK for Brexit stole 750K votes from Brits in EU of 3.7M globaly. Zap BoJo Mogg.