Date:      Mon, 3 Feb 2003 09:55:52 +0000
From:      Daniel Bye <dan@slightlystrange.org>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SSH cannot long here is the -v

On Sun, Feb 02, 2003 at 08:50:46PM -0700, Mike wrote:
> Sorry but I am stuck on this one last thing to complte my rebuild.
>
> I have removed and tried openssh ssh ssh2 making sure each is completely
> removed before trying the next. The port is open and the logins are
> working on the other programs. FreeBSD Diary had some good help but no
> luck there either. ...
>
> ..
>
> tictoc# cd /usr/local/sbin
>
> tictoc# ./pure-ftpd &
>
> [1] 293
>
> tictoc# ssh tictoc -v
>
> OpenSSH_3.4p1 FreeBSD-20020702, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL
> 0x0090607f

[---snip---]

> debug1: authentications that can continue:
> publickey,password,keyboard-interactive
>
> debug1: next auth method to try is publickey
>
> debug1: try privkey: /root/.ssh/identity
>
> debug1: try privkey: /root/.ssh/id_rsa
>
> debug1: try privkey: /root/.ssh/id_dsa
>
> debug1: next auth method to try is keyboard-interactive
>
> Password:
>
> debug1: authentications that can continue:
> publickey,password,keyboard-interactive

This password prompt is for the keyboard-interactive (aka Challenge
Response) auth method, and won't authenticate you with your UNIX
password.  Try to log in again, and this time just hit Enter when you
see the prompt.  You should then get a standard "user@host's password: "
prompt, where you _can_ use your UNIX password.  In order to stop this
from happening, you need to put this in /etc/ssh/sshd_config:

ChellengeResponseAuthentication no

and restart sshd.

Dan

--
Daniel Bye

PGP Key fingerprint: 3D73 AF47 D448 C5CA 88B4 0DCF 849C 1C33 3C48 2CDC
                                                                     _
                                              ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
                                         - against HTML, vCards and  X
                                - proprietary attachments in e-mail / \