Date:      04 Feb 2003 20:39:09 +0100
From:      Franz Klammer <klammer@webonaut.com>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD GNOME Users <gnome@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Attn GNOME 2.2 testers

Am Di, 2003-02-04 um 19.49 schrieb Joe Marcus Clarke:
> On Tue, 2003-02-04 at 09:05, Franz Klammer wrote:
> > Am Di, 2003-02-04 um 07.45 schrieb Joe Marcus Clarke:
> > > Mario (lioux) has updated gstreamer to 0.6.0 for the GNOME 2.2 test
> > > tree.  He's made some good changes, so please test (Franz, I know I can
> > > count on you), and let me know how it goes.  Thanks.
> > >

> > hi!
> > how did you know that ;-)
> >
> > ok! here are my experiences:
> >

> >                    ====== MPEG: ======
> > * thumbnails of small files working (i've one with 15MB)
> > * if the files bigger (>600MB) the gst-thumbnail process
> >   grows over the filesize and then core dumps.
>
> Same core dump about longjmp()?  This doesn't make any sense.  The stack
> size should still be capped.  Have you tried thmubnailing with with
> --gst-scheduler=opt?

tried with --gst-scheduler=opt and --gst-nothreads, the result is
the same:

"Segmentation fault (core dumped)": not the same as with longjmp().

the file size of gst-thumbnail.core is 639819776 Bytes.

maybe gst-thumbnail cannot work with such big files?

> >                    ====== AVI: ======
> > * there is no problem with the file size
> > * take a look at the attachment to see _what_ i get as thumbnail.
> > * gst-thumbnail produces these output:

> > <codec keeper> : Found 9 plugins (/usr/local/lib/avifile,A:35,V:76)
> > <codec keeper> : FFMPEG DivX ;-) video decoder created
> > <ffdivx> : not using DR1
> > <ffdivx> : not using DR1
> > warning: first frame is no keyframe
> >
> >  *** many ffdivx and keyframe-warnings removed ***
> >
> > Snapped.
> >

> > * if i watch the avi with avifile DR1 will be used:

   *** some unneeded information deleted ***

> > <ffdivx> : using DR1
> > <aviplay> : Closing clip
> > <StreamCache> : Destroy... (Total accesses 107, hits 97.20%, misses
> > 2.80%, errors 0.00%)
> > <aviplay> : Played 54 video frames ( 0.000000% drop )
>
> You may want to report this directly to lioux.

OK!

> >                        ====== MP3: =======
> > * i've rebuild nautilus-media because i've seen that configure
> >   searches explicitly first for gstreamer-0.6 and then for 0.5.
> >
> > * if i change the view to "audio-view" and try to play mp3-files
> >   i'm only able to play the first few seconds - then nautilus hangs
> >   and i have to kill _all_ nautilus-processes.
>
> Can you get a stack trace?  This may be the same problem as the MPEG
> thumbnail.

maybe, but there is no core dump.
ok, i will try to make a back trace.

franz