Date:      Sun, 14 Jan 2001 15:48:40 -0500
From:      Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>
To:        Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: relocating primary DNS server

--8P1HSweYDcXXzwPJ

On Sun, Jan 14, 2001 at 02:24:41PM -0600, Steve Price wrote:
> Are there any tricks for moving (changing the IP address of)
> a primary DNS server for a domain?  I am helping a friend move
> his operations from one datacenter to another.  I've tried
> everything I can think except changing the record with Network
> Solutions.  I thought I'd ask the experts on this list if they
> had any words of wisdom before I went that far.
>=20
> Thanks in advance.

Well Steve,

I think you are screwed if your friend's domain is registered with
Network Solutions.  They are not timely with domain server IP updates in
my experience.  Last time I tried to do it (admittedly about a year or
two ago), it took them three or four weeks to make it effective in their
root servers.  And in some cases it took six weeks.

If possible, your friend could leave a machine on the old datacenter
network with the current IP, and have it trust updates from the new DNS
server.  Then send in an update request to NSI, and pray that they'll
change it soon.

I really really hate NSI, needless to say.  :-)
--=20
wca

--8P1HSweYDcXXzwPJ

--8P1HSweYDcXXzwPJ--