Date:      Mon, 10 Jan 2000 15:14:49 -0600
From:      Konstantin Shkolnyy <stan@ashleylaurent.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Install ?: Problem starting system from second HDD

I'm installing the 3.2 from the stock FreeBSD CD.

I have 2 IDE HDD connected as master&slave to the single cable.
I decided to install the O/S on the second one.

1. I created a directory FREEBSD on the 1st HDD (having FAT on it)
and copied the whole contents of the CD 1 into it.

2. I created 2 1.44 floppies from the flp-files in the FREEBSD\FLOPPIES dir.

3. I booted the PC from those floppies, started install, made a slice and
partitions on the 2nd HDD, pointed install to the FREEBSD directory on the
1st HDD and finally got it installed on the 2nd HDD.

Now, my problem is as follows:

I chose to install booteasy manager. It got installed on the 2nd HDD.
So, it is not invoked on power-on, since the HDD is 2nd. To handle this,
I went into BIOS screens and disabled the 1st HDD.

After that, BIOS loads the booteasy from the 2nd HDD and the kernel is
then loaded. But the kernel sees the 1st HDD as can be seen by boot
messages.
On some stage of loading the kernel tries to mount root file system from
HDD 1 (on which it is NOT installed), fails and panics. It tell about this
problem in the panic message, referring to wd0...

What could I do wrong? How to tell the kernel to mount it from wd1...?

I verified that the installation is Ok by complete disconnecting the
1st HDD. In this case everything goes fine except /etc/fstab which
refers to wd1... everywhere whereas this disk now became wd0...