Date:      Thu, 25 Sep 1997 18:16:55 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Douglas Carmichael <dcarmich@mcs.com>
To:        jkh@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Some ideas for accessibility in FreeBSD

(These are just ideas, I can't implement them because I have no access to
any of these alternate devices).
1) Patching the syscons and pcvt drivers to accept *input* from a
serially-connected alternate input device and display on the standard
display (a sort of "hybrid console"). For the functions needing two keys
(e.g. VT switching), there should be an option in the kernel config file
to only require one key.
2) Patch the console drivers to display on the normal console and take
input from either the keyboard or a user-specified device but also
shunt all output to a serial port (for speech synthesizers)
2a) Utilize a speech synthesizing driver as an LKM which
would utilize the user's existing sound card (preferably loaded in the 3rd
stage boot)
3) Changing the X server to accept text from a non-keyboard
input device (i.e. alternate keyboard, etc.)
4) Patching the console drivers to allow larger text for people with
vision problems.
5) If the user selects it, use either simplified boot messages or sounds
to signify which stage of the boot process has been reached.

(Any more ideas?)