Date:      Tue, 25 Dec 2001 20:46:22 -0700
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
Cc:        Chris Wilmes <cwilmes@creighton.edu>, damien@carroll.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sharing a SCSI bus with 2 controllers

On Fri, Dec 21, 2001 at 11:48:29AM +0100, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 20, 2001 at 05:24:52PM -0600, Chris Wilmes wrote:
>> On Thu, 20 Dec 2001 damien@carroll.com wrote:
>>
>>> Is it possible to share a SCSI device with two different
>>> controllers?  I have a tape backup that I want to share with
>>> two systems, and I want them to be both connected at the same
>>> time.  I have connected both controllers to the tape backup,
>>> made sure that they were configured as different device
>>> numbers, and re-booted both systems.  One is a Windows
>>> Machine, the other is a BSD box.  Both of the controllers are
>>> the same (Adaptec 29160N) The BSD box is complaining about
>>> seeing SCSI bus resets on the bus:
>>>
>>>    ahc0: Someone reset channel A
>>>
>>> What is the correct way to do this (if it is at all
>>> possible)?  Are there special kernel or hardware settings
>>> required for this to work properly?

On our Pyramids, we had a kernel build option to support "dual
hosting".  It did two things.  The first was to suppress "spurious
interrupt" messages when one machine was doing SCSI bus resets
during its bootup probes.  The other was for the driver(s) to restart
any I/O that was stopped by a reset from the other end, without
complaint.

Sounds like a useful feature for us FreeBSD'rs too.

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com         chad@larsons.org          larson1@home.com