Date:      Sun, 17 Feb 2002 12:25:38 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 'microuptime() went backwards ...' using ACPI timer.  Shouldn't that be impossible?

    Ok, I've looked at the code more carefully and I understand how this
    works now.  However, it is not enough in an SMP environment.  You
    need a generation count in the timecounter structure and you also need
    a synchronization point when you switch time counters or a process
    running on a different cpu may wind up using a time counter that is being
    actively updated.

    I'm experimenting with your patch now.  I'll send email when I have
    some test results.

						-Matt

:
:I just wrote the following fix for some of the overflow problems.
:
:%%%
:Index: kern_tc.c
:RCS file: /home/ncvs/src/sys/kern/kern_tc.c,v
:retrieving revision 1.113
:diff -c -2 -r1.113 kern_tc.c
:...