Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 1996 21:37:55 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        uhclem@nemesis.lonestar.org (Frank Durda IV)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Is "immutable" supposed to be a good idea?

> Oh, weird party trick:  some time just before nuking a system to do
> a fresh install or something, rm /sbin/init, halt and reboot and watch.
> That is certainly not what other UNIX systems do...

It is most certainly what other Unix systems do.  Someone mistakenly
wiped out init on an Ultrix box at my University (they thought they were
deleting an old user account, rm -rf *), and it required a complete
re-install to get things working.  I wiped out init in the 386bsd days,
but luckily I was able to recover by installing a new version of init
off the install floppy.

Nate