Date:      Sun, 29 Aug 2010 18:00:02 -0700
From:      Garrett Cooper <yanegomi@gmail.com>
To:        Ade Lovett <ade@freebsd.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, bug-followup@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports/146754: [patch] new port: add devel/atf framework to ports

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 2:22 PM, Garrett Cooper <yanegomi@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 12:39 PM, Ade Lovett <ade@freebsd.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Aug 19, 2010, at 20:30 , Garrett Cooper wrote:
>>
>>> =A0 =A0This request has been sitting mostly idle for the last 3 months.=
>>> realize people are busy, but could someone with some time please help
>>> me work out any issues that might exist with this port, and commit
>>> this to ports? There are a _lot_ of developers that would be happy to
>>> see this committed to ports so they can add unittests for their work,
>>> and I would like to see this committed so I can start writing real
>>> testcases for pkg_install.
>>
>> It looks relatively straightforward. =A0My only concern is the bunch of =
files being dumped into ${PREFIX}/tests, which violates hier(7). =A0Would i=
t be possible to move them to, say ${PREFIX}/share/${PORTNAME}/tests ??

> It might be but I'll have to check with Julio from NetBSD about that
> because this is how things install today; they use a fixed version in
> NetBSD though instead of from pkgsrc, and it hasn't gained a lot of
> traction outside of a smaller niche of users, so I might be able to
> convince him to change the default (or at least parameterize it so it
> conforms to hier(7)).

    Found the reference. The stuff that gets installed under
${PREFIX}/tests (to some degree) are actually executables
($(execdir)), and some are data files ($(datarootdir)). The author --
Julio -- used $(execdir) for everything... incorrectly as you noted,
but I think that this should be resolved at a later date (say, when
0.11 rolls out?) because I don't know what functional issues might
arise if I start monkeying around with paths right now.
    The package upstream is already at 0.10, and I would rather get
this in and resolve issues as they come instead of waiting for
perfection, if that's ok.. atf is still a rather fledgling project
that's changing a bit from release to release, and is being modified
on a regular basis, so just waiting for things to resolve themselves
will be more hurtful than beneficial. I want to get to the 0.11
release though in the next hop, so I'd be more than happy to work
towards achieving that goal in that period of time (0.12 at the
latest).
Thoughts?
-Garrett