Date:      Sat, 9 Sep 1995 14:05:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
Cc:        FreeBSD hackers list <FreeBSD-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: temporary connection to Internet, how to??

On Sat, 9 Sep 1995, Wilko Bulte wrote:

> When the FreeBSD box is given the address 192.168.200.22 on it's local
> ethernet the system hangs on boot while executing /etc/netstart. More
> specifically it hangs when executing 'route add default dontpanic localhost'.
> Dontpanic is of course the box itself. ^C ing it through netstart results
> in a system that works OK on the ethernet. Things like 'telnet agrajag'
> (a Sun Sparcserver) work OK. Things like 'nslookup' timeout telling
> me the nameserver cannot be reached. This nameserver is the same Sun..

actually... It doesn't lock up... it just takes a long time (60 seconds I
think) before the DNS lookup of dontpanic fails... and it resorts to
bind...  what would probally fix it is to swap bind and hosts to where
hosts is first...  also... make sure dontpanic is in hosts...  the reason
nslookup might fail is because routed isn't being loaded (because you
^Ced netstart)...

> Lacking an RFC1597 to RTFM I appreciate comments on how to do this. A
> couple of Suns we have on the same net did'nt oppose to the change
> in adress. Before we used 192.9.200.xx, this worked fine for all systems,
> Suns & FreeBSD
>
> I assume there is something plain stupid in what we do ;-) ;-)

wait for netstart to complete... if you don't feel like making any changes...

John-Mark

gurney_j@efn.org
Modem/FAX: (503) 683-6954   (FreeBSD Box)

Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD (unix)