Date:      Mon, 20 Dec 1999 23:12:21 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
To:        Walter Brameld <brameld@twave.net>
Cc:        Micke Josefsson <mj@isy.liu.se>, "FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <FreeBSD-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Changing partitions or slices

On Mon, 20 Dec 1999, Walter Brameld wrote:
>> I imagine that would work (level zero dumps, though!). However, I believe that
>> you first should analyze why your / fills up. When I started this a couple of
>> years ago I used /root just as any other account, and since it is located in /,
>> the latter filled up. Remedy was to keep next to nothing in /root, but use the
>> toor account for storage, where toor lives in /home/toor.

That's odd.  My 'toor' account has the same directory as root.  Do i need
to make a special entry in my groups file to correct this?

>> Another early incident made me use symlinks for /var and /tmp, they are now on
>> my /usr partition. Having a small /var gave printing problems when the spool
>> file was too large and a small /tmp filled up during
>> /usr/libexec/locate.updatedb, which is run on a weekly basis.
>>
>Yeah, I learned some of the "How not to's". I haven't gotten a handle on symlinks
>yet. That's what caused me to trash my system. Guess I linked in the wrong
>direction, as some of my files seemed to simply disappear. Oh well.

Same thing happened to me.  I lost /var, including my pkg database, of
course, so i opted to reinstall.  I learned my lesson.  But just recently,
i correctly symlinked /var and /tmp to /usr... and it worked.  I find that
for a newbie, using midnight commander simplifies such procedures greatly.

-jm