Date:      Mon, 5 Oct 1998 14:56:26 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Kaila Ladywolf <licia@o-o.org>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   kern/8158: sio driver breaks in 2.2.7R in kernels without pcm/pnp drivers

>Number:         8158
>Category:       kern
>Synopsis:       sio driver breaks in 2.2.7R in kernels without pcm/pnp drivers
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Release:        FreeBSD 2.2.7-RELEASE i386
>Environment:

	FreeBSD 2.2.7Release compiled without pcm or pnp drivers
        on various x86 machines.

	I discovered while compiling a kernel to use the Voxware drivers
        for a Soundblaster 32, and noticed the same symptoms as an earlier
        problem in a dialup machine without a soundcard.

	The sio driver fails in 2.2.7R kernels compiled without the pcm
	or pnp drivers.  Detection of the device is incorrect and access
	to the serial ports becomes problematic.  On one machine it has
	repeatedly caused the machine to lock up on starting either X
	or moused.  On a machine with a boca board the same problem
	manifested but did not lock the machine.  Access to the serial
	ports was simply incredibly slow and dialin became impossible.

	On the machine that locks up, this is reported in the dmesg in
	a kernel without the pnp or pcm drivers :
	  sio0: configured irq 4 not in  bitmap of probed irqs 0
	  sio0 at 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 on isa
	  sio0: type 8250
	This is reported on the same machine, with those drivers added :
	  sio0 at 0x3e8-0x3ef irq 4 on isa
	  sio0: type 16450

	On the machine with the boca board, without the drivers, I get the
	same problem :
	  sio1: configured irq 10 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0x10
	Otherwise, I get
	  sio10 at 0x148-0x14f flags 0x1005 on isa
	  sio10: type 16550A (multiport)

>How-To-Repeat:

	Compile a 2.2.7R kernel without the pcm or pnp drivers

>Fix:

	Compile with pnp AND pcm driver.