Date:      Wed, 26 Mar 1997 03:00:05 +0200
From:      Ville Eerola <ville@vlsi.fi>
To:        Burton Sampley <burton@bsampley.vip.best.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Fetchmail nolonger working

Burton Sampley writes:
> Thanks for the help.  Yes I do have senmail running.  I just solved this
> problem.  I looked in the /etc/sysconfig file and noticed that routed was
> NOT running.  I changed the line from router="NO" to router=routed and
> rebooted the machine.  Surpirse, now fetchmail works.
>
> I keep seeing many, many postings on both -current and -questions that
> routed _IS NOT NEEDED_ for anything.  This truely is a case the proves
> otherwise.  The only thing that I changed was the router line in
> sysconfig and now fetchmail works.  (I know I'll probably get flamed for
> this, but Oh, well)

Uh... I use fetchmail, and certainly do not need to use routed.
However, you may well have been suffering from some other networking
problem. For example, the default sendmail configuration needs to have
DNS working. I use on-demand ISDN line to connect from home to the
net, and in the booting phase adding some manual routes the route
command does name lookups and initiates the ISDN dialing. Sometimes if
I'm in hurry, and know that I don't need the net during that session,
I cancel that by pressing CTRL-C during the startup, and the net is
left in bad state. This can cause sendmail not to start up properly,
and could later cause fetchmail to fail.

Anyways, if your problem is solved, everything is fine...

Regards, Ville

--
Ville.Eerola@vlsi.fi	VLSI Solution Oy
Tel:+358 3 3165579 	Hermiankatu 6-8 C